Mary Bower Sheats J.D.
- Sole Practitioner
- Of Counsel with Frank Gale Bails Murcko & Pocrass, P.C.
I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, when it was the smoky city. I am a 1978 graduate of Duquesne University School of Law. My father encouraged me to go to law school in 1975 when more women were just beginning to attend law school in more than just token numbers. My mother worked for Duquesne University at that time, and so I attended law school tuition free, as the child of an employee. At the time, I thought that maybe I could work as a civil rights lawyer after graduation. When I passed the bar, I was 24 years old and often when I entered a courtroom I was asked whether I was the court reporter. There were not many jobs for women in those days, and so I began my legal career working for Neighborhood Legal Services Association in the HIll District of the inner city area of Pittsburgh. That was when I began my bankruptcy practice, before the court records were computerized. That was also when I began to learn Family Law, before the advent of no fault divorce in Pennsylvania. Through all the years of representing people in crisis, I have learned patience and diligence and now I enjoy the practice of law more and more every day. I respect my clients more than ever and I respect my profession more than I ever did before. My goals in every case are to treat my clients with respect, and to do my best to achieve the best result possible for them with justice and with dignity.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Debtor/ Creditor
- Family Law
- Pennsylvania, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
- Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1978
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- B.A. - 1975
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: English
- PBA July 2013 Meeting in Washington DC, PBA, 2013
- Annual Bankruptcy Institute, PBI, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member, 1980 to Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member, 2000 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Frank Gale Bails Murcko & Pocrass, P.C., of Counsel, 2009 - Present
- Calaiaro, Corbett & Bower, P.C., Shareholder, 1993 - 1998
Pro Bono Activities
- Pro Bono Volunteer for Neighborhood Legal Services Association, 1982 to Present
- Phi Alpha Delta
Mary Bower Sheats, Attorney at Law, represents clients throughout Western Pennsylvania, including Allegheny County, Westmoreland County and the cities of Pittsburgh, Washington, Butler, Beaver, Greensburg, Cranberry, Monroeville, Sewickley, Moon, Bridgeville, Mt. Lebanon, Upper St.Clair and Heidelberg.